Beijing Adventures - Day 2

Ni Hao Everyone!
First off, thanks a million for your wonderful comments on the blog site. We feel connected to you all despite the distance.
Lesley and I slept very well last night and both feel like we have put the jet lag behind us. We encountered our first foreign (spanish we think!) family with thier daughter this morning. We were struck by a moment of emotion, realizing that we are 5 days away from holding our Mara. What a mixed bag of excitement, anxiety, and anticipation. We had a "western" style buffet breakfast in the hotel (included in our package) which was just "western" enough with boiled eggs, bacon, rice congee, bran based cereal, fruit, etc. So far no need for the immodium :) We then headed out to an amazing market (shopping mall really). It had 6 full floors of anything you can think of buying - tailored clothing, tea, trinkets, ski jackets, pearls etc. Probably not our last visit there. On our travels we passed one of the buildings that
is being completed for the 2008 Olympics - the Workers Stadium . The Olympics are a huge deal here and the spirit is everywhere. The mascots are quite fun.The construction that is occurring in Beijing is unbelievable! The contrast/clash between the new construction and the old buildings (that are everywhere) is striking. We then ventured to the Beijing subway. The subway was quite fun. The platform seemed quiet, which didn’t last long. The train arrived absolutely packed and I couldn’t believe that we actually c
rammed our way on. Exiting the train was a “birthing” experience. We arrived at our subway station and exited to a rain shower, so we flagged down a taxi to take us to our final destination. Transportation so far is reliable and very inexpensive. Thanks to our friends Sandy and Hector, and a connection back in Canada, we were treated to a personal tour of the Paleozoological Museum by Hailu and Peter Dodson - 2 world renowned paleontologists who ironically have roots in Canada (Montreal and Ottawa). They graciously gave us a tour and answered some of my basic questions. It was a real treat for us - like playing pickup hockey with Wayne Gretzky coaching us. Through our tour of the museum chinese children would approach us to say hello. Apparently
children are learning english, but are reluctant to try and speak it, so we were glad to say hello back...at least 100 times.CHINA factoid: China is #2 in the world for paleontology, behind the US. China is the world leader in feathered dinosaurs - the specimens on display are amazing!
The rain had passed so we walked back to the subway station, passing the Beijing Zoo which we considered visiting, but for some ethical reasons choose to avoid...good decision as it turns out, even though we missed the Giant Panda’s :( The subway ride back to the hotel was uneventful and less crowed, but it is amazing to see how interested people are in us. They are respectful, but it is not hard to catch people watching us, pretty much everywhere we go. What a fascinating experience to be the obvious minority. Upon arrival back at the hotel we met 2 more of our Group 234 families (Barry and Shelley, and Chris, Caroline, and Stephanie) who arrived in China today. We enjoyed a dinner together (with less fire breath than last night) and said goodnight to our jet lagged friends. Tomorrow we are taking a highly recommended tour of a “traditional” chinese village.
China is wonderful!
Goodnight and thanks again for your thoughts!


10 Comments:
WOW! WOW! WOW! You guys are taking me back in time!
Were some of your experiences so far just how I expained them? Hope it is even better.
I have been watching both your blog as well as Hector and Sandy's. I passed on theirs to some of your family and friends and they were quite excited to see pictures of you.
Can't wait for tomorrow's entry (most of all, it is the 31st and beyond that interests me most :-))
Enjoy every minute and chat soon,
Tracy Paul and the girls
HHHHHIIII!!!!!! it sounds so fun miss u ;) we send all our love xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxox
Why do you have to wait 5 days to meet your daughter?
Sorry I guess I missed that!
Julie
I am so jealous, I wish we were there with you. See you soon.
Hey guys! I'm glad you're having so much fun. Wow, what amazing luck at the dinosaur museum. It must have been so neat! Mum's been reading your blog instead of working (we're both at the store) or showing me things. That's OK though - I most read anyway.
Keep having a fun time.
Lots of love,
Anna
It sure sounds exciting...We are so glad that you have a few days to yourselves before you pick up your little angel.
Lots love
Patrick and Irene
Hello
Since I have never even read a blog before ( athough I think I met a few during my teaching days ), I am attempting to blog up a message !!!!
Blogging being what it is, I hope that Mara gets the message... that Papa and Nanny J are watching the skies over Rockland for her arrival...
Love you guys...and thanks for sharing your daily adventures ( Sounds like China would be a great place to take your parents to !!!!!
Until we blog again......
Donnie and Cathy
This is so exciting! I can't wait to see Mara when you bring her back. She and Emma will have to have a play date.
we're so happy your having a great time, here it's 44 humidex.
People don't look at you because you the minority it's because expecting parents are always so radiant.
Alain Dionne
Hey guys,
You are very kind to share this experience with your friends and family. This is wonderful and we can truly feel your excitement.
We wish you well, enjoy these last moments together, MaraBug will change your lives forever(all for the best!)
Big hugs and kisses,
MJ, Angelo, KA & Zach.
Post a Comment
<< Home