Marabug Marabug.... Fly Away Home :)

Join us as we travel to China to meet our daughter and bring her home.

Monday, July 31, 2006

THE BIG DAY - Gotcha Day!!!

First, pictures!!! (I am sorry but I can't post pictures right now - some technical problem, I will try to add them in the morning)

Ok, so this was the most amazing day of our lives.
In many ways it was so surreal. We woke up at about 6:30 am after a pretty decent sleep (surprising!). We went for a western buffet breakfast at the hotel (which was very good). I then went to photocopy our documents in the right size - no real problem, a weird envelope! We amassed at 10 am (meeting some of the 14 families for the first time) and handed over all the money and documents to Freda and David. Then we waited, went for a swim in the fantastic outdoor pool and we waited and waited for the minutes to pass. At 2:00 pm we had to meet in the hotel lobby to begin our trip to the civil affairs office to get the babies. It was crazy exciting with 14 families gathered in the hotel lobby with more camera’s than an NFL game. (i really need to stop the sports metaphors!) People were literally giddy and the two young kids that are going to meet there sisters were literally swinging from the chandeliers. The other hotel guests in the lobby (99% chinese) were wondering what the heck was going on. We board the bus and begin our 20 minute drive to the office.
The civil affairs office is fairly nondescript. We are told that our children will be brought to us in alphabetical order, so Lesley and I are 4th. Up the elevator to the 5th floor (14 families, many lifts required) and make our way to a basic board room with chairs all around a conference table and a series of benches that surround the perimeter. We are told to have one representative from each family sit at the table to sign some paperwork. The paperwork turns out to be for the “period of harmony” - which essentially means that Lesley are I are baby sitting Mara for the next 24 hours to be sure we are in harmony!! Seriously odd. We will finalize the adoption tomorrow with the final agreement. So we sign the paperwork and then wait. The babies begin to arrive one by one and are presented to the families and the tears of joy are flying, and the screams are happening and the room slowly begins to fill with this great sound of life. Lesley and I hand off our video camera to Dave and make our way to the door and David reads out - “Mr. Jacobs and Ms. Grignon...I present to you Dong Tian Tian” and in 1 single moment in my life everything changed. Our little Mara was handed to Lesley by the orphanage nanny. Lesley and I were really prepared for any reaction - “deer in the headlights”, “all out screamfest”, overjoyed baby and in what I can only describe as normal - Mara Tian Tian Jacobs joined our lives. She didn’t cry, she didn’t fuss - what she did do was look at us as if to size us up. While other babies wailed she watched from our perch. She looks different from the February photos that we received but Lesley recognized her right away - me not so quickly. She is fairly thin and long, and has 10 wonderfully long fingers, and 10 very cute toes. Her hair is long and thick and she is fairly light skinned (I am quoting our guide). She has 2 small teeth on the bottom and we think 1 on top, but we are sure that more are on there way soon. She is wonderfully calm and very curious about everything around her - really inquisitive I would say. Lesley and I have a moment of pure joy as we embrace with our child. We have a little time with a translator and a nanny to ask her some prepared questions but in the end the answers are general and not baby specific. The orphanage put together a wonderful package that included a card with the babies schedule for feeding, sleeping etc. and also some of the specifics of the formula and food that the babies are fed (including a small package of the formula for us to use until we can buy some. What a day! It takes about 1 and half hours to get through all the families and have the pictures taken and we are then on our way out the door. We board the bus with some babies crying, and some sleeping and some just watching the world around them.
We got back to the hotel at about 4:30 pm and were told to send a family rep to a specific room at 5:30 to fill out some paperwork that is needed tomorrow. Meanwhile Lesley, Lee, and Mara are up in our suite getting to know each other. We missed the babies regular 4:00 pm feeding so we prepare a bottle and after Mara took a little bit of it - she was out like a light. I took off and did the paperwork and raced back, only to find our girl still sleeping. Les and I decide to wake Mara up in the hopes that she will go to sleep at 9 pm as per her usual schedule - and it sort of works - YEAH Les and Lee!! We wake her up about 7:00 pm and change our first wet diaper - no problem. And we play, and talk, and laugh and smile, and cry a little (a very little) and listen to chinese lullabies, and we have a little bath and it was so much fun. She really is a wonderful baby. Lesley and I give her a pretty good look over. Regular bed time is 9:00 pm but today is no regular day so we try to read Mara to let her tell us when she is ready. Before bed a bottle. Feeding is a bit more of a challenge. We try the formula as was recommended, we try 3 different nipples and 2 bottles, we modify 1 nipple to get more flow - and Mara ended up taking only about 2 or 3 ounces. So we shift gears and make up a small bowl of Rice cereal and attempt a spoon feeding - relief! She take it all in, in the craziest way - swaying her head, laughing and giggling - but takes it which is all that we care. Mara is tired and rubs her eyes and fights sleep pretty hard (that’s my Karma coming back to bite me in the butt) but she settles and falls asleep - we’ll see for how long. WE ARE NEARLY EXHAUSTED!

What an amazing day. Everything I could have hoped and dreamed for and so much more.
Tomorrow will be a long day - lots of paper work.

So good night our loving friends and family and know that we carry you all with us on the amazing journey. We have learned so much from you all and feel so much support from all of you and it makes this experience very special.
Lesley, Lee and Mara

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Les, Lee and Mara,

I am sitting behind my desk having my lunch and reading this beautiful story (without the pictures) and I am so, so, so happy for you guys that everything is working out so well.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I feel so happy for you, and my eyes are even moist... (Les, you know me, it's not my usual look ;-) It sounds like Mara is a wonder baby!

Hope to see the pictures soon,

Ilse

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also sitting behing my desk, tears of joy rolling down my cheeks.

I have been refreshing my screen, knowing this wonderful news would come in.

Congratulations to the new parents.

Mara, welcome to our family!

Lots of love, kisses and hugs.

MJ

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like everyone who reads your post has tears in their eyes, me included (also refreshing my screen at my desk.)

Susan

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

les and lee,

well, i always cry at births...so i am sitting here in my bookstore crying...

joy joy joy

what a beautiful story you have shared...i can't wait to see pictures but you have painted us a beautiful picture with words....

my heart is with you and all of the families you are with...words really aren't enough...

with love in my heart i send the three of blessings during your "period of harmony"...


tearfully,
laura

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie, Lee and Mara,

We are so happy for you! Your daughter sounds like a little angel.
Can,t wait to see a picture of her and more importantly actually meet her when ou return to Canada.
Love to you all!!

Irene & Patrick

1:33 PM  
Blogger lafreniere said...

Congratulations Mara - you got Les and Lee in China today!

I am SO HAPPY that everything went smoothly for you both. I can totally see how it played out in my mind. I can't wait to see the pictures (and neither can the girls).

As Laura said, words just are not enough.

Enjoy every minute of getting to know Mara and the rest of your trip.

Lotsa love,
Tracy, Paul and the girls

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lee and Lesley,

There are no words I could come up to tell you how happy I feel for the three of you. You guys just received the best gift a human being could have. I wish you all the best for the days to come and I can wait to meet your precious daughter.

PS: You have no idea how hard is to answer the phone when you have tears and not able to speak, I decided not to answer the phone when I am reading your website.

God bless you all and have a safe journey back.

Itma

1:54 PM  
Blogger Centauri Arts Camp! said...

Dear Leslie and Lee
We are Julie and Craig, members of group 230 and parents of Aislyn Fei. We just had to e mail to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We have been following your adventures day by day and reliving our own... because your experiences, and travel itinerary, are so similar to ours. We were in the same room in the Civil Affairs Office in Guangzhou on May 8th! We hope Mara brings you as much joy as Aislyn is bringing us.
Our warmest thoughts are with you,
Julie & Craig

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you had a wonderfully peaceful and somewhat spiritual experience. I am also whiping my tears away, and am overjoyed that this day has finally come and that it was everything you ever expected.

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your lives!

Love, Andie (& Kev)

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My darlings,

And Mara makes 3!!!

YIPPEE!!!

I'm sending my love across the miles.

BIG HUGS,
Steph

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

恭喜! Gong-xi! Congratulations!

We're so happy for all of you and enjoy the rest of your trip. Mara sounds like a sweetie.

With warmest hugs,

chris/agnes

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Les, Lee and Mara,
Like Ilse, I too am sitting at my desk reading the news -- Tracy just came by to tell me the latest posting was up. There are tears rolling down my cheeks just as I get with all birth announcements! Welcome to Parenthood guys ~ savour every minute of it. Every day from here on in will be a new adventure.
Can't wait to meet you Mara ~ you have been blessed with awesome parents!

Jane F
xoxoxo

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Les, Lee, and Mara,

Congratulations!
Kim and I have been checking the blog endlessly today waiting for the update. We're so thrilled and we know Mara will have a circle of love for the rest of her life, and you'll make great parents. Can't wait to meet her.

Cheers,
Gerry, Kim, Jenna, Sophie, and a late #3.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lee, Les and Mara,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Damn you for making me all teary eyed. Everyone at the office is soo happy and excited for you guys. People run around anouncing things whenever you post another blog.

ps. Your guitar is still in one piece (or so Matt says) and my feet still hurt from the walk!

Thinking of you!
Steph V

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures! It sounds like you had a perfect day. So wonderful... a brand new baby and a "day of harmony" to get to know each other! Wishing all three of you a continued peaceful transition to your new life.

-Kirsten

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
We just got in from the cottage to your touching blog. Botsford is also awash in tears. Also, thank you for leaving the phone message. Glenn phoned ASAP this morning to fill us in. You should know that Colleen got up for 3 AM so she could be with you in spirit. Hurry Mara home so we can tell her she's the luckiest kid in China.
love
Poppa and Nanny

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello New Family,
It sounds like you have concurred survival in China, eating, sleeping, transportation and the ever important bartering, all with no problem. I'm sure parenting will be just as simple for the two of you!! Mara is very very lucky. Please promise me one thing Lesley, you will teach Mara how to drive. Lee was just a little stressed the night we drove to the concert -wait till Mara is ready to take the wheel. haha
Really, all the best on the remainder of the journey.
The blog has been great to keep us informed and with wonderful detail.
I'm trying to be "strong" with being the new kid on the block, but today Irena came into my office just as I was reading todays joining of the new family, with tears in my eyes.
We're all excited to see pictures!!!!
Don't forgett to try Peking Duck.
Fly Away Home Safely,

Cherri

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
Congratulations from fellow group 234 'ers. We're so happy for you to finally have Mara in your arms! We've been following your blog everyday, Jenna sits in my lap and pretends to type. Sounds like your first day together went amazingly. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Sue, Tom and Jenna
Group 234

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i am so happy she is so beautiful (a bit thi but she will get bigger soon ;p ) i haven't met her but i love her so much i miss u and send all my love sophie xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo
xpxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxox
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo <3

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Finally your day has arrived. I'm so happy for all 3 of you (parents & baby Mara). She looks like she really belongs to you 2 from the pictures - you all look very happy together.

By the way, if you're planning to visit more Buddhist Temples with Mara & if she happens to be a Buddhist; it would be great if you can have the monk(s)/nun(s)to do the blessing for her before you guys leave China. This is only a suggestion, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Take care & have a safe trip home & looking forward to see you guys soon!

MLuu

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie, Lee and baby Mara:

Thank you for sharing your story...your baby girl is beautiful and you will be wonderful parents!
Eileen

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!! It's Karen from the BLOW class or the HOTTEST room around! What AWESOME pictures and stories!!! I can not tell you how much I enjoy you sharing!! And how thrilled I am for both of you! I really enjoyed meeting you both and hope we can do the week again next year and soooooon Mara may be joining us!!!!! How fun that would be!! Enjoy and I am sending lots a FABULOUS thoughts!!!!! K

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!! It's Karen from the BLOW class or the HOTTEST room around! What AWESOME pictures and stories!!! I can not tell you how much I enjoy you sharing!! And how thrilled I am for both of you! I really enjoyed meeting you both and hope we can do the week again next year and soooooon Mara may be joining us!!!!! How fun that would be!! Enjoy and I am sending lots a FABULOUS thoughts!!!!! K

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

plaese contact me
my daughter is also from yangdong and i do have a question for you.

thank you
nicol momy of Jilin ( dong zhizhi)
n-nolden@home.nl

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home